Saturday, March 8, 2008

"Away From Her" vs. "La Vie En Rose"



I just finished watching the Sarah Polley Directed "Away From Her" which stars the brilliant Julie Christie. I must say that I thought the film was also brilliant, but very depressing, but of course, look at the subject matter! I hope everyone takes a chance on this film and watches it.

I watched "La Vie En Rose" about a month ago, and It stars the magnificant Marion Cholliard. The film is based on the tragic life of singer "Edith Pief." There was quite some controversy regarding Marion and her win for Best Actress in a Leading Role at the 80th Acedemy Awards last month and I do not understand why. Both films are brilliant and deserved more attention than what they received. Both actresses were breathtaking and stepped into their roles.

I think Marion Cholliard desevered the Oscar just as much as any of the other 4 nominees. All the critics had Julie Christie as the front runner for the award, but both women were great choices. There can only be one winner.

This controversy brings to mind the 2008 Presidential Elections with Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Both are amazing in their own way and deserve to be President of the United States. But like the Oscars, there can only be one winner.

All in all, I feel that both Julie Christie and Marion Cholliard were great and either of the actresses truly deserved the award.

Please go rent "Away From Her" and "La Vie En Rose."

No comments: